Four Maples Farm provides organically raised pastured poultry in Medina, Ohio. We operate in conjunction with Schmidt Family Farms who provide local honey, certified organic eggs, and certified organic vegetables. Chickens are raised on certified organic pasture, and fed certified organic feed (No GMOs). Our 2011 organic certification through the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) has been submitted, and we are awaiting inspection.

All of our chickens are raised on a constantly rotated pasture to promote the health of the animals and the soil. We use the "day-range" method which means that the chickens are safe in a coop during the night and free to roam their ample paddock space during the day. Constant access to fresh grass gives the birds a taste that's beyond compare. The chickens are processed on-farm, humanely, and without the unnecessary use of chemicals.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Organic Certification

We have completed the last of the paperwork for our organic certification for 2011!  We just have to wait for the application to be processed and hopefully we will have our inspection before we process the first chickens in June. Going certified is a big commitment but it is one that we are eager to take on.  The application is very intensive, and I have a new found respect for any small farm that carries the organic seal.  We have always believed in the things that the term "organic" stands for. Those of you that know me don't need to see a seal to trust that I am using the approved practices, but I want even those who don't know me to have the piece of mind that I am inspected by a certifying agency.
The first round of chicks will be here on April 5th.  There's so much that I still have to get ready, but all of the planning that I have been doing for the last few months has me quite prepared.  Dad and I have been working hard on the chicken plucker, and it is almost finished, but we will probably be putting it aside for a month or so.    Most of our efforts in March will be focused on building the brooder before the first chicks arrive.  The new layers are already at the farm and they should be at laying age before July.
I hope your all as excited as I am.  Keep checking back for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment